Thursday, February 16, 2023

1968 Driving Gloves

I had thought I lost them for 10 or more years time. However, I think around 10 or 15 years ago my wife bought me a beige Trench Coat for weather at places like Chicago and New York City and Washington DC.

The problem with this though likely is that I don't think we have traveled by plane to places like this since around 2000 to 2010 partly because we each had more health problems by 2014 or 2015. And if we were going to fly we wanted to go somewhere warm like Hawaii (which we did a lot until Covid) or Portland (the last 5 years to see my son). But, it wasn't something I would grab for Portland. It was something I would have taken wearing a suit and tie for Chicago, New York or Denver or Washington DC. like for going to a Broadway play in the winter or something like that.

So, all these years my 1968 Camaro leather, rabbit fur lined driving gloves given to me by my parents when I was 20 I finally found. It brought tears to my eyes thinking they were lost all these years when they were only in my beige nice trench coat that I hadn't really had a use for here in California.

I decided tonight since it's been 39 degrees or colder this year at night sometimes to just wear this nice lined Trench coat to take the dog out to do her business along with a Scottish wool Fedora hat that I bought in Pitlochry, Scotland which keeps me very warm so I don't lose any heat out my head late at night taking my dog out in our back yard to do her business.

It's not that I would actually buy something like this for myself ever because times have changed. But, I don't have the 1968 Camaro since 1978 when I sold it because my son was 4 years old. However, one of the last things my son and I did in that 1968 Camaro was to watch the very first Star Wars movie in Sunland, California at a drive in theater then. He was too young to take to a regular indoor theater to see it. But, the movie changed both of our lives in many ways still.

But, finding these leather gloves given to me as driving gloves by my parents in 1968 means a lot to me. I wore my old but like new Trench coat outside with my dog tonight and found them in the front pockets of my old but new Trenchcoat my wife bought for me around 10 to 15 years ago now.

Amazing!

The last two big trips were to Paris in 2009 and Nice and traveling by TGV Bullet train in France and in 2011 going to England and Scotland with my daughters and one of their boyfriends then.

But I don't think I have been walking around Boston or Salem or Washington DC since before those two trips. (My wife first out of college worked in Boston and had friends in politics in Salem, Massachusetts)

Mostly I have lived in Seattle, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Hawaii and most of the time since 1952, California from San Diego on up to Mt. Shasta at the north of the state. Now we live mostly near San Francisco on the ocean.

No comments: