Thursday, August 1, 2024

I used Ozempic and gained 5 pounds the first week

Also, my relationship with food changed in strange ways which I was reminded of by the last eating disorder article. I felt different about food than ever before. I found normally I guess I'm a snacker and I find that protecting my blood sugar by eating a little at least every 2 hours was helpful. When I was younger I had cases of hypoglycemia where if you don't eat at the right times you get pretty spaced out and might start to shake.

But, Ozempic did something else entirely which I didn't like to me so I decided after gaining 5 pounds the first week that it wasn't working for me and stopped using it.

The main problem before this was that I couldn't figure out how to get the lowest (the right dose to start) because I had read of people overdosing and having to go to the hospital throwing up and also not being able to have bowel movements at all from overdosing when they first started.

If you look closely at the injectors they are usually 4 dose injectors that can cost about 1000 dollars a month if your insurance doesn't pay for them. You give yourself a shot of Ozempic once a week and you need to start with a very low dose so you don't wind up in the hospital.

Finally, I got the doctor to show me how to set for the right dosage on the mechanism. He went online I think to YouTube to find out how to set it because he didn't know either.

But still, after gaining 5 pounds the first week I thought it wouldn't work for me.

But, later about a month or so later I began to think about this a little because I have edema (retention of fluids in your legs and ankles and so often I have to take Furosemide so the fluid doesn't build up in my ankles and in my lungs and possibly drown in lung fluids.

So, I realized it was possible that the Ozempic interferred with the furosemide and caused me to have water weight gain of the 5 pounds. It's difficult to know for sure.

However, since I do not have diabetes I'm told the best one for me to try might be Wegovy because Ozempic is specifically designed for people with Diabetes to lose weight. 

NOTE: if all this sounds pretty strange to you likely you are young and healthy. Well, I'm 76 and trying to stay alive which is a different place in life. For example, two years ago this fall I thought I was going to die and checked myself into the hospital because I couldn't stop having serious atrial fibrillation. They gave me a Cardioversion which is basically a taser to the heart after sedating me. The first jolt stopped the atrial fibrillation. Later I found out the shock kills some people or sometimes the first one doesn't do it so they just keep shocking the heart until the atrial fibrillation stops. Then they told me I had to take Amiodarone which I had refused to take before after trying it simply because I felt lobotomized on it within 24 hours and couldn't walk or talk well or drive a car and I thought that was bullshit which it is.

However, at the hospital they told me that If I didn't take amiodarone that I would die soon. So, with this choice (or lack of choice) I started taking it and was lobotomized by it for a couple of weeks and by then my body adapted to it and I was okay again and I could walk and drive a car and walk along the beach with my dog once again.

So, even though weight loss drugs are scary on multiple levels because I'm just 76 and trying to stay alive for my wife and children and grandchildren you sometimes have to try anything that might work because if you don't you might be dead soon. So, what's the alternative if you want to stay alive to 80, 90 or 100?

No comments: