Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I, Robot 4-20-10

I, Robot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you click on the word button "I, Robot- wikipedia above you can read the wikipedia article on Isaac Asimov's book. There was also a movie called "I, Robot" with Will Smith. And "The Bicentennial Man" with Robin Williams was another movie made based upon "The Positronic Man" written by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverburg. But originally I, Robot was written in 9 installments during the 1940s by Isaac Asimov. Later around 1950 he compiled them into "I, Robot" and with the narration of Dr. Susan Calvin they were all tied together. I remember reading I, Robot around 1960 when I was about 12 years old. I loved everything that Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein or Arthur C. Clark wrote. Later on, when Robert Silverburg began to write I found I love his works as well. But more than anything else I love to read scientifically plausible science fiction over almost anything else. I also love science and fantasy which is an entirely different genre as far as I am concerned as well. But to have whatever is written to be actually scientifically plausible is my favorite thing to read. With Asimov and Heinlein this was true or almost always true because they preferred to write plausible science fiction as opposed to scientifically impossible stories. And Because of Robert Heilein and Asimov and a few others people like Gene Rodenbury and others arose and people started to take movies like "STar Wars"  the Star Trek series of movies and the other 5 Star wars movies more seriously.

It is important to realize that in the 1920s through 1930s most science fiction was not taken very seriously by the general public until the late 1940s to early 1950s. The exception to this was Jules Verne and H.G. Wells and a few others.

The following is a quote from i, robot from Wikipedia:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
I, Robot  
I robot.jpg
First edition cover
Author Isaac Asimov
Cover artist Ed Cartier
Country United States
Language English
Genre(s) Science fiction short stories
Publisher Gnome Press
Publication date 1950
Media type Print (Hardback)
Pages 272 pp
ISBN NA
Followed by The Complete Robot
I, Robot is a collection of nine science fiction short stories by Isaac Asimov, first published by Gnome Press in 1950 in an edition of 5,000 copies. The stories originally appeared in the American magazines Super Science Stories and Astounding Science Fiction between 1940 and 1950. The stories are woven together as Dr. Susan Calvin tells them to a reporter (the narrator) in the 21st century. Though the stories can be read separately, they share a theme of the interaction of humans, robots and morality, and when combined they tell a larger story of Asimov's fictional history of robotics.

end quote:

Today my daughter who is 14 asked me if the movie "I, Robot" with Will Smith that she held up as a DVD was a book. Both my wife and I said, "Yes." at about the same time. We both recommended that she read this book by Asimov. Also, within the original book of 9 short stories combined was Asimov's three rules of Robotics that are now world famous.

 

No comments: