Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I, Robot; Iphone; Ipod; Ipad

If you ever wondered where Iphone, Ipad, Ipod came from it came from the ideas in Isaac Asimov's  series of nine stories called "I, Robot" which was first published as individual stories during the 1940s and then compiled into one book called "I, Robot" in 1950 and published by Gnome Press.

I believe this came about because Steven Jobs (born 1955) who co-founded Apple Computers with Steve Wozniak (born 1950). Steve Wozniak created Apple computer's I and II and Steve Jobs was the idea man and businessman and salesman at that time in the early 1980s.

Since Steve Jobs was also a fan of Isaac Asimov and his ideas he named the Iphone after the concepts in "I, Robot" which depicts and sentient Robot with thoughts and feelings much like a human but with the problems of being discriminated against for being a robot instead of a man. So to name the Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad these names personalizes all these objects into a state of being almost like pets to their owners who have also read or know about "I, Robot" or who have read the works of Isaac Asimov.

No comments: