Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Uncle Tommy

I was working as a fire lookout  in 1985 in August. I had a 2 way radio and a telephone in my lookout tower and was about 10 miles from the nearest human being. My uncle Tommy had passed on in a plane crash in 1942 when he was 24. He had appeared to me in 1969 and 1970 to help me get through a time when I was suicidal around age 21 to 23. So there in 1985 I hadn't had much contact with him for several years. Well. This day I saw him walk through the fire Lookout. I said, "Tommy. I haven't seen you in a long time. What are you doing here?" He didn't say anything but I realized that he was telling me he was coming for his brother, my Dad. So I called my Dad who was slowly dying up on Yucca Mesa with my Mom and said, "Dad. I saw Tommy. I think he's coming to get you, Dad." Dad said, "I don't feel very well, son. My stomach really hurts. I can't talk now, son." I said, "Dad. Look for Tommy." My Dad said, "I need to get off the phone son. Good night."

Five hours later my mother told me my Dad had died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Though I cried on the phone with Mom I felt reassured that my Uncle Tommy had come to tell me he was coming for my Dad, his Brother.

Later I witnessed my father's cremation. My Dad's blue eyes were flat from dehydration. But I was able to witness that it was my father there that was actually cremated. I did the same for my mother in Fall 2008. I kissed her frozen corpse on the head and pushed her into the furnace and turned it on. Because it was very loud I went outside with my wife and watched her go up the one foot diameter chimney as  smoke. A year later we put her ashes in the ocean nearby where John Denver crashed his plane with a rented sailboat with the rest of my family.

It makes it a lot easier in some ways to deal with death when you are an intuitive like me. Because I have always been able to talk to friends and relatives after they died. Usually, for most folks the transition of the first few months can be tough on the other side until they get used to being there once again. But once they get used to it most people are fine.

Though I miss all my dead friends and relatives if I allow myself I realize that they are all there helping me and my family here on earth still and will welcome us all when it is our time to join them.

Today they are all here wishing me Happy Birthday!

No comments: