Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Forbidden Kingdom:The movie

The Forbidden Kingdom has already made 20.8 million dollars in the US in one weekend. Obviously, it is number 1 at theaters. Some may see this as pure escapist fare. However, for serious martial arts people and adepts like myself it is much more than that. It is a metaphor for the path. The way the young man is the seeker and is also trained and groomed by his teachers in an alternate time and world at the same time is the way things actually work in this amazing universe we live in.

When I started out in life I assumed life was one thing. Later I found out it is many things and not really at all what I was thinking in my 20s. However, without my idealism and, yes, even cynicism, and discernment I would not be alive today. Without compassion, idealism, cynicism and pragmatism I would not be alive and turning 60 this month.

This movie is a metaphor for most peoples lives the way they actually are. To understand this is to be wise.

No comments: