Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Making Sense of One's Life?

When I look back now at the 1950s when I grew up I still can see that sweet, thoughtful, caring and polite, adventurous and physically fearless person I was at age 10. So, it is kind of like when I see myself internally I'm still that person but wearing all the armor of experience and all the good and bad and very painful experiences I have survived in my life including the loss of basically everyone I knew in the 1950s except for my cousin and one or two friends now. So, of my 3 best friends growing up 2 are already dead along with my parents, all my aunts and uncles, all my grandparents and about 1/2 of my cousins are already gone now.

So, my thought is to move through life sort of an adventurer might be the best if you want to live into old age. You have to sort of want to see what's going to happen next in life? Because it is going to surprise you every time. Nothing will ever be exactly what you expect, even if you are an intuitive like me. You might get the general idea of what is coming as an intuitive better than most but it still doesn't prepare you for a whole lot of things in life.

Things that I couldn't have prepared for:

Getting whooping cough and childhood epilepsy as a child up to 15
The Cuban Missile Crisis
President Kennedy being assassinated
all the other assassinations of people like Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy and others
Famous people dying like Steve Reeves the childhood hero in Superman on TV
The Viet Nam War and the insanity it brought to the U.S. and the world
The Cold War and the insanity it brought to the U.S. and the world
9-11 and the insanity it brought to this world
and now Putin and all the insanity he is bringing to the western world through
thousands and likely millions of deaths in the future in Syria, Ukraine, Chechnya etc. now and into the future.

So, none of the above things could I or the world have prepared for.

We also couldn't have prepared for what the Internet (both Good and Bad) has done to both the U.S. and the world both now and into the future. We still aren't prepared (any of us for this) and most people don't even see the full problem yet like I and many do.

So, trying to make sense of one's life is like writing many stories with different people in them and then later trying someone desperately trying  to tie them all together in a way that makes sense to yourself and others. And sometimes it just can't be done in a useful way.

Because everything is changing all the time, people, places, conditions and things. Nothing stays exactly the same. Everything is constantly changing even though you might want it to stay the same. It might even look the same but even then intrinsically it is different somehow. So, believing things are all the same might make you feel better but in actuality it isn't being realistic about your life.

So, once again if you are an adventurer likely you will live the longest and happiest of lives because life is an every changing adventure that no one can completely predict except maybe God.


No comments: