Sunday, June 14, 2015

Fred, isn't Medicare Amazing!

This is what my neighbor said to me who is a retired doctor. I knew what he meant. As soon as I was eligible for Medicare it saved me $1200 a month in medical insurance costs. And that is just for me, not the rest of my family. As you move from about 35 or 40 onwards health insurance (that actually takes care of you) becomes more and more expensive until I was paying $1200 a month for insurance  at age 64 that would actually be there for me and even then it was a high deductible.

Once I was on Medicare at 65 this $1200 a month went to Zero (at least on part A). You still are going to be paying nominal fees for other sections. And at least $110 a month will be deducted (or more) from your Social Security to cover Medicare (part A).

So, isn't Medicare amazing! Yes. It is if you can just survive until you are 65 years old and can be covered by Medicare.

So, when I had a burst appendix this year I wasn't financially destroyed by this like most people would be when I had to have total about 6 days in the hospital and an advanced and very technical operation including anesthesia.

So, the total amount this operation cost me likely was under 100 to 500 dollars. Yes. Medicare is really amazing if you can live long enough to be on it.(usually age 65).

No comments: