Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Arming Teachers is mostly a cultural point of view of that state or area in the U.S.

Where people are "Comfortable" with Guns being around them (like most states west of the Rockies and likely Colorado too) people are generally "comfortable" with guns because they have been trained to use them since they were children of age 6 to 8 years of age historically.

People in larger metropolis's in the East might have a different point of view. But, if there is no law for 20 to 50 miles from you, if you don't own a gun you are pretty stupid because "Who's going to protect you when the law is 20 to 50 miles from where you live?"

Even in a city it can take 10 to 20 minutes for the law to get to you to protect you and you could be dead within 1 or 2 minutes time (even if you called right now) 911. So, calling 911 isn't going to save your life if you are being attacked or burgled or raped right now is it?

So, this is why people in the western part of the U.S. think they way they do. It's not being stupid, it is being efficient if the law is 20 to 50 miles away from you the only person who is going to protect you is either you or a family member and that's all.

So, the different attitudes about guns in the U.S. depend mostly upon where you live here in the U.S.

Not owning a gun in the western states is kind of stupid if there is no one who can get to you to protect you in time to save your life.

But, if you are serious about owning a gun you need to be trained well to be safe owning a gun.

For example, even where you store bullets is important because the bullets (even without a gun) can be dangerous themselves. For example, I was safe with a gun but I still did things like break .22 shells into two and then pour the gunpowder out of the casing and I threw the empty casing into a fireplace to scare friends and relatives because I considered doing this safe but funny from age 10 to 15. However, I was very safe with a gun (except one time I was shooting at running jack rabbits and  so were my 5 years older two male cousins. I was about 8 or 10 then and they stopped shooting and started to run in front of me but I was still shooting so my father lifted my barrel so I didn't accidentally shoot one of my cousins.

The problem in regard to shooting when you are hunting that you have to have agreements when you are around other hunters as to when to shoot and when not to run in front of each other. I found I didn't like shooting things and by the time I was 15 I never shot anything but maybe a Green Mohave Sidewinder that was trying to go into the doorway of a cabin my family was staying in because a Green Mohave Rattlesnake ( a little sidewinder is 9 times more poisonous) than a diamondback rattler. So, it is very potentially dangerous if you get bit by one it is more likely you will die because you need 9 times the anti-venom to survive it.) So, for me I basically stopped shooting things at 15 or so because I didn't like to kill anything anymore. It just didn't seem right somehow.

But, that doesn't mean I don't know how to kill anything that needs to be killed in an emergency which is a good ability to have in an emergency. Because in life you really never know what is going to happen over time.

NOTE: I just realized most of you have NOT separated a lead slug (often copper coated) from a shell casing. What you actually have is a cap in the shell casing which can be set off by a hammer pin, enough heat or dropping the bullet on a rock. So, if you take off the lead projectile from the casing and then pour out the gunpowder which propels the bullet through the barrel of the gun and out at a target, then you have the cap in the casing alone which cannot really do much damage by itself. But, if you throw this casing alone (without the projectile connected and with no gunpowder in the casing what you get is a bang about as loud as the bullet going off inside the chamber of the gun. The force of a casing cap doing this will usually propel the casing a few feet however, so I usually walked about 5 feet or more away from the fire when I did this. Then you have to be careful if some of the embers are blown out of the fireplace so you don't catch the living room rug or furniture on fire too.

So, if anyone did this you don't want to walk away when this happens as it could start a fire in a house.

And remember, in my era people could still buy chemistry sets and make bombs and fireworks out of the chemistry sets too. My cousin and I filled tennis balls with gunpowder we made and iron filings and then  you got a 4th of july fire fountain with colors blowing 6 feet into the air then around 1960 or before. But, now you cannot buy these great chemistry sets because people made real bombs likely that actually killed people since then. And people now being more paranoid than then in general about everything might get pretty upset if people did stuff like this now.

But, all this was perfectly normal for boys in the 1950s and 1960s. We were just considered very creative and interesting then. A normal statement of the times would be "Well. Boys will be boys!"

But, I do remember a friend shooting me with his BB gun. in the leg when I was 6 and that hurt a lot and even with jeans on my leg had a purple mark the size of a silver dollar for a long time from where he shot me with his BB gun.

No comments: