Friday, September 21, 2018

Why is compassion for self and others important?

Without it we all tend to die young (before 30).

Having compassion for yourself allows you to eat better food and take care of yourself. If you take care of yourself you often take care of others.

So, on one level it doesn't matter whether you take care of yourself or you take care of others the result is somewhat the same.

And, if you don't take care of you first you die and cannot take care of any others anyway.

This last one was the one that got to me.

As a young man I often didn't care if I lived or died. So, if I had a girlfriend that loved me I stayed alive for her. Later this became my son and first wife. So, I'm not alive because I want to be. I'm alive for others. Because I never cared about being alive enough to stay alive for me. But, I CAN stay alive for others.

So, I'm not alive for me I'm alive for others. But, if I don't stay alive I cannot take care of my family.

You might say to me, "Hey. You are 70 years old and your kids have moved out and have their own lives."

My answer would be: "If you are a good parent you are always in your children's lives in a positive way." Your children are always an important part of your life and you are always an important part of their lives. Always. This provides continuity for them and for you.

So, if you are kind to your children you also might be kind enough to yourselves to stay alive for them even if you can't stay alive for yourselves.

This is why compassion for self and others is so important to all of humanity.

If we take care of others we take care of ourselves. If we take care of ourselves we can take care of others.

It's the circle of life.

By God's Grace





















No comments: