Thursday, April 18, 2024

Overlooking the beaches in Maui

 We are presently staying in a resort hotel that is many stories high which looks out to sea on surrounding Islands in Hawaii. It is very beautiful here and the sunsets are amazing. Yesterday we drove up to Haleakala and I was very pleased I did so well at 10,000 feet which is much better than I did in 2019 where I barely could get out of the car without passing out from the altitude. So, this was amazingly better thanks to Western Medicine.

However, last night the temperature in the room went up and up and up to around 77 degrees which for someone from northern California is not comfortable to sleep in. At home we set our heating system to 65 usually during the day and at night we set it to 68 or to 70 because my wife is in her late 60s and I'm 76 this month.

However, 77 degrees is pretty hot for us, especially if we are trying to go to sleep. After fussing with the air conditioning controls it wasn't working right so we called the maintenance people who work on air conditioning and other technical things for the resort. I wouldn't want this job tonight because they are likely dealing with 100 to 200 or more unhappy people with 77 degrees in their rooms and suites too who aren't going to be happy at that temperature. However, the maintenance technician said that the whole building was down (air condition wise) but that the system should reset itself and go back on within an hour or two which was good news except we were both exhausted (my wife and I) from the 9 hours we spend walking and driving and seeing the sights on Haleakala which is a really amazing experience.

Imagine you are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean about as far away as you could be from a major land mass or civilization (at least as we know it in the U.S.) and you are driving up through a sea of clouds and then you arise out of the clouds and into the bright bright sunshine with thousands of feet drops next to your road with basically no guardrails. Pretty exciting isn't it! Then you are seeing horses and cows and goats next to you, especially between 3000 and 5000 feet in elevation. Then you drive into a forest (planted by people) that is a minimum of 100 acres of knotty pine trees which is something you are not expecting to see on the Hawaiian islands but they are okay growing here because they were planted at around 5000 to 6000 feet in elevation which is a completely different microclimate than you get at sea level. Then you enter Haleakala National Park through an unmanned kiosk with a robotic machine that you have to navigate so every one is trying to figure out how to legally enter the park without getting arrested by a Ranger. Then I read on the sign that I don't need to do anything because I have a Senior pass that gets me in for free into all National Parks in the U.S. (which cost me about 10 dollars maybe 10 years ago and it's still valid today.)

Anyway back to the Air conditioning malfunction in our resort rooms. I'm too tired to wait and hour or two for the air conditioning in the building to reset so I go to sleep in the 77 degrees with very little on at all of course. My wife gets up frustrated in an hour or two and tries to reset the Air conditioner like the Technician said. I get up around 6 am and the temperature has dropped from 77 degrees to 74 degrees which is better. Then by around 8 to 9 am it finally went down to 71 degrees which is nice. So, my wife was finally happy at this temperature. What was the strangest thing to me was that when our rooms inside were 74 degrees outside it was 67 degrees at around 6 am. Now it's 79 degrees outside and 71 inside which is nice inside or outside with the sea breezes and the ocean waves crashing all along the beach below our veranda.







//








No comments: