Wednesday, May 22, 2024

It does both hail and snow in California but it usually doesn't get big enough to kill you or break the window of a car or truck

I have been hit with hail in California on Mt. Shasta that was the size of the tip of my little finger which is likely the biggest hail I have ever seen in California. Most hail along the coast is not usually larger than most beans you might eat out of a can. So, mostly it isn't going to kill you even if it really hurts some hitting you after falling so far. I can remember only one or two times having to run under the trees for shelter so we were not injured by the size of the hail coming down even in August on Mt. Shasta. Mt. Shasta makes it's own weather so it can literally snow at altitude on Mt. Shasta ANY month of the year in the right conditions.

I have also in August when people could drive their 4 wheel drives up to 10,000 feet on the McCloud or other sides of Mt. Shasta (Not ever the Mt. Shasta city side in my memory at least). But, we were in a friends Chevy Truck or GMC truck that was a huge 4 wheel drive and we had our friend my wife and I and our 3 kids who were little then in the truck at around 10,000 feet. I think it was called Clear Creek where were were which isn't far from where Mud creek Goes down the mountain on that side either. And all we had were t-shirts and shorts and hiking boots and we had hiked up beyond the truck about a mile or two with the kids when all of a sudden a cloud blew in from nowhere and it started snowing on us and I was scared because the kids were all under 8 years old and I could only carry the 5 year old and we were walking over rocks that were 5 inches to 12 inches in snow which is pretty dangerous. Then because we couldn't pick up the 8 year old he started to panic because he was skinny with a t-shirt and likely going hypothermic so I had to tell him we could hold his hand but he had to make it to the car. When you go hypothermic because you are freezing slowly to death you begin to hallucinate so I was scared I couldn't talk him through everything to get back to the Truck. However, somehow we all succeeded while slipping and sliding on the large rocks now covered with 6 inches to a foot of snow. The good thing was we all had hiking boots on so at least our feet didn't get cold even though we were all freezing in our t-shirts and bermuda shorts while it was snowing. So, to make a long story short we all survived that day and made it back to the 4WD truck where we could turn the heater on and 4 wheel drive it back to a warmer altitude and survive all that.

No comments: