Friday, August 23, 2024

I personally don't find Flint and steel easier than using matches

 I always preferred a waterproof container for my matches out in the wilds to build a fire (even if it is a plastic zip lock bag like you use for storing food in your refrigerator or Freezer. Also, a zip lock plastic Bag I have also liked to use for looking at my smartphone while it is raining on me in my hot tub outside. 

Amazingly the touch sense of the Smartphone still works through the plastic ziplock bags.

I find if I wear a hat that won't be ruined in the rain like a baseball style hat it sheds the water so it doesn't get into my eyes in the rain. My wife doesn't like me to be in the hot tub while there is rain or lightning but luckily it doesn't lightning and thunder here like it did when we first moved to the coast here in 1999.

But, even if you have waterproofed your matches you still need dry enough wood to start a fire. So, if yo have a pile of dry wood and it begins to rain make sure you cover this pile with a plastic Tarp or something so it can still burn to keep you warm in your camp or wherever you are. Once you get a fire started with dry wood sometimes you can put somewhat wet wood on it then and it will burn but not always.

So, because of all this camping in the rain is usually miserable at best simply because often your tent floods unless you place it perfectly and trench around it just right so the water bypasses your tent floor.

Another thing is that a candle can often heat up a tent (at least your hands and for reading) when it's cold outside but you usually have to zip closed all the screened windows to stay fairly warm if it's cold outside.

Also, an Ice Cave you dig in the snow for survival can also be heated up to 50 degrees without melting the walls of your Ice Cave usually with a candle. So, a candle might save your life in an Ice Cave when it is under 30 degrees outside because it shelters you from the wind and storms as long as you have enough air to breathe too that is fresh.

No comments: