Friday, August 14, 2026

Lam Rim Geshe

I met Lam Rim Geshe in Dharamshala who was a retreatant  Tibetan Lama who had been in retreat. He had just come out of a  retreat in the dark for years so he could go to the Kalachakra Tantra Initiation given by the Dalai Lama in Bodhgaya India. I and my family were also there for the Kalachakra Tantra in December of 1985. There were about 500,000 people there for this Kalachakra Initiation and I met people who had walked all the way from kham, Tibet and this took them 6 months to do to this distance knowing that the Chinese never would let them back into Tibet ever. So, this was a life long dream for them to receive this from the Dalai Lama before they passed away. There were many thousands of Tibetans who had come from Tibet for this once in a lifetime Initiation of the Kalachakra Tantra. It's about Shambala and the King of Shambala and a place all Tibetans want to go after they pass on to this heaven place.

However, what many people don't know is that Lam Rim Geshe was the model for Yoda used by Jim Henson puppeteer people for Yoda.

But, the difference is Lam Rim Geshe was about 6 feet tall but did look a little like Yoda. Yoda was created from Lam Rim Geshe I think because this was an amazing being to begin with. Also, his residence looked in some ways like the residence of Yoda too. However, I'm not sure whether Lam Rim Geshe is still alive or not.

I know I met him and he was unlike anyone I ever met before. He was very kind but also fairly quiet. He was very polite and kind to me and my whole family that day and other Tibetans were with us so they could translate to English for us what he actually said that day in January 1986 in Dharamshala India where the Dalai Lama lives.

According to the AI it says that Lam Rim Geshe was born in 1922 so likely he isn't around anymore. So if this was him he was 64 in 1986 when we met him but he looked younger than this and was very healthy. But, he easily could have been this age too. It's hard to tell because people in Asia often age differently than white Americans and stay younger looking longer too. 

 

No comments: