Thursday, August 13, 2026

The 15 to 20 percent chance of Rain is actually happening right now on the Northern coast of California

 Hopefully it is also raining on the Timber Fire to our South to put that fire out too. It was strange reading how the lightning made the firefighters leave but I'm sure most of us have had lightning striking all around us at some point in our lives too. I know I have on many occasions been around lightning strikes.

One time I was swimming in Castle Lake (across from Mt. Shasta the other side of Interstate 5) and I was driving down the hill to town then and saw lightning start a fire below the road there. So, I had a window Van then a GMC that I kept a shovel and a bucket in for situations like this or others so I went back to the lake and got a 5 gallon bucket of water and then parked above the fire and carried the bucket of water and a shovel down through the Manzinita bushes and trees down to the fire to put it out.

When I arrived where the fire was starting I saw strange sites (if you have never seen what a lightning strike does to a tree before like I never had before). So, basically this tree was now a little like a barber pole where the lightning hit the top of the tree and literally blew off all the bark in a spiral to the ground and then it lit a previous tree that had fallen. So, the barber pole tree wasn't on fire instead it was the fallen tree next to it. So, I poured the water on the fallen tree that was now lit and coaling and started to throw dirt on it to try to put the fire out. By this time a Forest Service Fire Crew Arrived so I could leave and let them finish putting this lightning caused fire out before it became a real problem for the whole area. However, stopping to do this might have prevented a much bigger fire from starting too. They were able to get it out eventually by staying with it until it was dead and out. 

Yes. this morning I woke up to my wife commenting on the rain coming down on our deck in our back yard. So, the forecast of 15% to 20% of rain was actually happening. So, once again let me say that I hope this rain is also falling on the Timber Fire too and putting it out or at least prevent if from Spreading anymore. 

No comments: