Though I have never been to south America to see the Amazon river and the pink dolphins and the rest of the sites there, my wife took a cruise to Antarctica in 2016 with her best friend which went down the east side of South America Stopping different places along the way before they went to Antarctica then they came up the Chile Side of South America and visited many cities and places on the Western side of South America too.
I didn't go simply because since I have been about 32 years old I started getting seasick on the open ocean and since I didn't want to throw up for days I decided not to go. I was really glad because the trip from the Bottom tip of South America to Antarctica there were 30 foot seas and my wife had to be rescued more than once trying to go eat from her room by crew members because when a ship goes up and down 30 feet at a time you might as well be out in space sometimes regarding the problems you are going to have not getting hurt in those heavy seas.
However, she and her friend came home safely and had the trip of a lifetime there all the way to Antarctica and back.
However, my wife and her friend both have cast iron stomachs and so never get seasick ever. However, when the seas were 30 feet waves 70% of both the Crew and the passengers were sick and couldn't eat for days without throwing everything up. So, I was wise not to go from my point of view. I didn't want to die of sea sickness while traveling at this age. It's the same reason why I don't go to India and Nepal and Thailand now because I don't want to die over there. So, not taking a long ocean voyage it is the same. I don't want to die doing that. Nearly crashing in the planes between Lihue and Kahului several times is all the adventure I need traveling. In fact, they train pilots from all over the world by teaching them to land at Kahului, Maui, Hawaii for Turbulence for this reason.
I think it's because Haleakala Mountain and the trade winds interact and make landing there very interesting very often. It's 10,000 feet high.
begin quotes:
Current Status and Habitat
- Where they live: Found across the Amazon and Orinoco river basins in countries like Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador.
- Population numbers: Estimated in the tens of thousands, but numbers are going down.
Main Threats
- Dams: Hydroelectric dams block migration paths and break up groups.
- Pollution: Gold mining creates mercury runoff that poisons the water and fish.
If you want, I can share:
- Why they turn pink as they get older
- Local legends about these unique animals
Let me know what else you'd like to learn!
Show all
No comments:
Post a Comment