Tuesday, August 11, 2026

My own dreams for computers and robotics in 1966

My dream then was so people wouldn't have to do manual labor unless they wanted to.

I envisioned everyone owning a robot that went to do the hard work for them. Now it is 60 years later and I didn't just graduate High School like I did in May of 1966 in Santa Fe, New Mexico at a private school after spending the last year there at a boarding school in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Then I lived in Glendale California with my folks and going this last year to a private school made me feel safe enough in life to go to college. Before this I couldn't really imagine myself in college because of all the violence I saw in High School around me. I wasn't one to pick fights but if you have ever seen a knife fight during high school lunch it will change you like it did me at the time in Glendale.

So, my college vision for the future was everyone owning their own robot or robots that would work for them (much like people had servants a lot in the 1800s and before.

This would be so the average person could do art or music or write and do deep thinking that would keep the human race alive rather than going extinct through war.

This was a really big deal at the time because as a child I was told I would die as a soldier in a nuclear war and might even witness first hand the earth turning into an Asteroid belt like out past Mars from nuclear weapons. Which happened in reality to Maldek the then 5th planet out past Mars 65 million years ago the same time as the dinosaurs died from a piece of it hitting earth in the Yucatan Peninsula shutting off the sun from earth for 10 years time then which killed all the larger dinosaurs.

So, I could see how people if they had the time to think and to create and to write (like I'm doing now) and to do art and science and deep thinking could create a much better civilization than the one we had then in 1966.

And of course there was the Jetson's on TV too and Robbie the robot from Lost in Space and things like that too but also Star Trek Started on TV in September of 1966 and STar Wars premiered at the theaters in 1977 and I remember taking my 3 year old son to a drive in theater in Sunland California near Tujunga where I lived at age 7 and 8 years old too then in 1977 to see Star Wars for the First time for both of us.

He has loved Star wars and Star Trek Stuff ever since and is now 52 years old. 

No comments: