Monday, April 30, 2012

Phenomena

When I was young and looked at the world it was both magical and scary at the same time. It took my breath away in the intensity of everything. When I was 4 it was 1952 in Seattle, Washington. There was only 1 or 2 billion people on earth then so there was more unused space everywhere and so the world seemed a lot bigger then than now in many physical ways. There were still so many unknowns and so many questions to be answered not only by me but all of my generation and all the generations to come.

This magical quality to the world stayed with me throughout my life. I found it most in the ocean and in the mountains and in the desert. Both my father and my grandfather were outdoorsmen and so as a young boy I was trained to camp and to not ever get lost in the woods wherever I was on earth. This made me completely at home in the wilderness everywhere on earth. This brought me peace.

When I looked at city life I usually saw a kind of insanity there. Too many people crammed into too little space. But when I became an adult in my 20s and early 30s I bought 2 1/2 acres of remote land I found that you will meet some of the craziest people either deep in urban areas or in the most remote places you will ever visit. And the sanest people seem to be somewhere between suburbia and country life where there is enough space to hear yourself think and to walk around in parks or into the wilderness. But also, there are enough people for you to meet so you stay sociable at the same time. So, where is the greatest craziness that I have found? The answer is in the deepest urban messes and in the most remote places you can think of and that balance is more often found in between the two.

As I learned more about this I realized for myself first hand that for a long well lived life unless you are a very exceptional kind of person in your own way, suburban and country living tends to keep people more balanced for a good living setting than either extreme remoteness or extreme urban settings.

So, I found my spiritual path led in the direction of Phenomena for my specific physical and personality type. So, as a child the question might be "Why is the sky Blue Daddy?" And since there is really no satisfying answer to a child regarding this because saying the scientific answer which is, "The sky is blue because of the way the light refracts from the sun as it enters earths atmosphere and bounces off the ocean and the earth. As you move to different altitudes the sky becomes different shades of blue depending upon the altitude and where you are on earth." But to a child the child wants an easy answer, sort of like, "Why do you love me?" And the parents answer might be, "I love you because I always wanted to have a child just like you." So, throughout my life the world was always very magical and scary. But when I studied science because I always wanted to know how everything worked, though the answers were mechanically satisfactory, they weren't always emotionally satisfying. So, I found myself spiritually wanting more than science alone could give me.

So, on the one hand I became mechanically aware of how literally everything physical worked but on the other hand I felt completely unsatisfied by all this emotionally because it did not satisfy my relationship with  God and the Universe. So, I found I had to combine my knowledge of the sciences with my love of the phenomena of the universe to find my path towards spirit.

So, I found that the problem of religion was that people were supposed to be submissive to ideas that made absolutely no sense in a scientific sense. So, I found that my path towards spirit had to be a way to reconcile everything I had studied in science with all the spiritual paths and religions of the world. By doing this type of reconciliation I found my path forwards. The first part of my path was through psychology. I had been raised believing in Creation Theory and this didn't work in relation to things like Evolution. So by age 21 I had come to the point where I realized that Creation was a school of thought like a language and evolution was a school of thought like a language and for most people these two schools of thought couldn't be reconciled. However, if I view both schools of thought as literal languages of expression like languages like Spanish, English, French or German then all my distress over this completely ended. My distress was trying to make either of them absolutely correct. Then I realized that "What if neither of these systems of thought was correct?" At that point I was able to move forward in life more effectively.

By accepting that "What if the human race actually knows nothing and it is only making stuff up because it is scared?" made the most sense to me of anything. Because when I looked around me at all religions this last question actually looked the closest to the truth.

Then I realized that "Maybe a few men and women down through time actually get the whole thing right, but most other people might be too simple minded to get the whole thing too?" This started me thinking in more useful directions in regard to all this.

So, I had to let go of the past in order to embrace the present and future.

At this point I had my path forward which is to follow my heart and then to use the scientific method of Sir Francis Bacon to ferret out the truth of everything. Soon, my favorite statement was, "
God is where you find him (her, the Being). So, since God was everywhere I decided to go find God Everywhere and not just limited to one structured form or another structured form. God would show me my path wherever I was in consciousness or time or space.

Finally, I had been taught by my parents religion to visualize a force field of energy around me to protect me from physical or spiritual harm. I even heard a man speak from Africa that had made this forcefield so strong during his prayers that bullets of a firing squad had bounced off it which saved his life in Ghana. And I knew from personal experience that this kind of thing worked.

But being inside a literal 10 to 20 foot Milk Bottle of forcefield could also be a trap in some ways of thinking. So, when I met Buddhist teachers and I read about Siddhartha (Guatama Buddha's experiences of traveling to thousands of other worlds with people on them at UCLA in the library there since I was already a soul traveler by nature and experience I began to visit other worlds in my spirit like Buddha did 2500 or more years ago now.

There are times when I visualize the Forcefield and it is there for me still if I feel in danger on some level. But most of the time now I prefer to experience the whole universe and God because I find great peace in doing this. Also, when I experience the whole universe as myself, somehow God and I are completely one and inseparable and because of this if you have enough courage or whenever it is the right time for you I encourage you to experience yourself as the whole universe because of the infinite peace that comes from that. I prefer to experience this Oneness 24 hours a day with God in Peace as much as God allows me to every day.

No comments: