Sunday, April 29, 2012

IPad instead of IPhone

Recently, I accidentally washed my IPhone in the washing machine. This didn't help it any. So, since I didn't want this to happen again because IPhone's don't grow on trees I decided to go with an inexpensive cell phone I used before, along with a new IPad as I had been wanting an IPad anyway. So, my new idea is to with internet anytime service anywhere there is cell reception on board and a place in my truck to store it whenever I am out of my house, it goes with me in my 4wd truck wherever I might need gps, or internet, which is more than I used to believe I would need these things before I had my IPhone. Before, I usually didn't use GPS except outside the state of California where I live because all the main roads I have driven on since I was 16 in 1964. But now, if I'm going to an address I'm unfamiliar with I just punch it in to GPS rather than look at a paper map. Also, I find it much more convenient in finding a restaurant in an unfamiliar area to Google it to see which ones are rated the best with reasonable prices which isn't something I would have done before my IPhone. And the other advantage to an Ipad is that I will Never leave it in one of my pants pockets and accidentally run it through the wash again.

However, it is important to realize that an IPad is NOT a laptop computer if you want to do something like this yourself. It is like having an Iphone without the phone (unless you want to use it as a phone and use a headset) only with a much larger screen only I bought an external blue tooth driven key pad to make typing easier with it. For example, when I went to compose all this on the IPad I was able to do it on the IPad  but titling it became a problem. So I was able to type in the words but titling it, and labeling it didn't work properly with the Ipad. So, you may be able to access your blog site remotely with your Ipad (with an anywhere internet connection) (two gigabytes of data is around 30 dollars a month on a monthly rate was the one I chose because I don't run long movies unless I am home on my WIFI network on it. Because on my wifi network data usage is basically free. But if you are out an about you really have to watch your data usage so you don't get financially penalized for going over your data quotient per month. But I find if I'm not trying to run movies I never so far on my IPhone have gotten above about 750 megabytes out of 2 Gigabytes no matter what I was doing on my Iphone and that includes running a couple of movies on Youtube for my daughter as we were traveling south to Southern California one day. So, time will tell regarding the new IPad.

So, though with an IPad and internet anywhere there is cell phone coverage you likely can also access and compose your blogs anywhere you still have to realize an IPad is not a real Laptop. So as long as you realize what its advantages and limitations are you will be happy with the result.


Much later:  April 1st 2013: I finally broke down and got another smartphone. I couldn't resist a free one. I got an LG smartphone that is the same brand as the older touchscreen non-smartphone I was using. I still use my Ipad and often take it and use it for checking traffic and using it as a map for navigation and for Internet. Because I'm 65 it is much easier to see the large Ipad and to make any printing bigger that I want to. However, I can also use my LG free smartphone to go on the internet with anywhere I can either get a phone signal or wifi which is great too. Also, since the phone is free if I accidentally drop it in the hot tub or accidentally wash it I won't worry that much. However, an Iphone4 or 5 is often 600 to 800 dollars so that isn't something that I'll likely get again because I don't want to lose something that valuable in my hot tub or washing machine again.

No comments: