Thursday, June 11, 2015

I was a survivalist in 1980

That was a long time ago. The unemployment nationwide around then was 10% like during the Great Recession. I just got married for the 2nd time and had been a single father and married a lady with two kids. I was 32. We pooled our savings and bought land so we could live very remote and still economically survive. We saved around 60,000 to 80,000 dollars in rent over the next 5 years. We built an A Frame house to shed the 7 feet of snow that came yearly then often at one time or another without collapsing our roof if we weren't there at the time of the snows. I didn't buy weapons because I wasn't that paranoid but I did buy food in bulk once a month to save money on staples from a local health food store where I could buy all organic foods in bulk. I had friends who buried in 50 gallon drums food stores various places under ground because they thought the government was going to collapse and go bankrupt from the incredible waste of money from the Viet Nam war at that time. Also, the Arab Oil embargo had happened and we just had recession after recession after recession caused by OPEC raising gas prices 4 to 10 times in price of what it had been in 1969- 17 cents a gallon for regular gas.

However, I was wrong then to think the government would collapse from debt from the Viet Nam war. What I hadn't considered was just how important the U.S. was to the rest of the world. It was only then 30 years before or so when the U.S. was the only large economy still standing intact after world war II and we kind of helped rebuild the whole world with loans and food then.

So, of course the rest of the world lent the U.S. money to keep going at various points in the 1980s so we didn't go under as a nation. But, I didn't understand just how much the world cared about the U.S. then. However, I do now.

Will there be a world economic collapse? I don't know. But, usually things happen a whole lot differently than most of us expect because we cannot punch in all the many many variables necessary to know the complete future.

Look at me, I'm a precognitive psychic. But, what does that really mean? I means I might know 10% more than the average person about what is going to happen next. Is that really an advantage? In regard to staying alive? Yes. But, in regard to knowing every aspect of the future? No.

So, if you become a prepper (modern survivalist today) just remember you don't have enough facts to really anticipate what actually is going to happen in any given large macroeconomic situation. People might do almost anything anytime. How are you going to prepare for that?

So, it's best to just live your lives and read the news so you can respond to what needs to happen when it does. IF you find somewhere you want to live that makes you happy, live there.

But, just remember you cannot really know what people are going to do until they do it. People are completely unpredictable mostly all over the world.

No comments: