Thursday, June 11, 2015

The problem with Carbohydrates

The first problem is: Humans have only been eating them for 15,000 years.
The second problem as my doctor so aptly puts is: People died at about 35 years old average until around 1900 when lifespans just started to begin to get a little longer.
So, the third problem is: now that we live a lot longer carbohydrates, especially after about 35 or 40 can contribute to our early demise through weight gain and diabetes and blood sugar related problems.

Even when I was a child I watched many men who were type A and worked very hard then eat Steak and potatoes, then as soon as they ate they went to sleep. And often these meat and potatoes men died by 35 to 50 years old from a heart attack. It seemed like almost all really hard working men were dying between 35 and 50 years old from a heart attack in the 1950s. Of course, a lot of these men had been in World War II also and this was a big factor in their early deaths too, from PTSD and other factors.

But now, people understand more what is happening to them diet wise and doctors often are recommending a no carb diet, especially to prevent diabetes.

Because as my doctor says, "When you eat any carbohydrate your saliva in your mouth turns it into sugar by the time it hits your throat."

The reason people liked carbohydrates like grains and started growing them is it gave them energy sort of like how people drink coffee today. But, if you aren't working really hard physically (and most people no longer are) it puts the fat on by the ton onto most people's physiology by age 40.

Friends of ours visited from Hawaii yesterday and he is a naval officer and she is a trained Physician's assistant who by the way diagnosed correctly my hypothyroid condition even though she was only my physical trainer when she lived here in the U.S. (She is originally from Germany where she got her Physician's assistant training.) Both of them have gone Paleo which means they don't eat any grains at all: no pizza, no bread, no grains.

To do that permanently is really hard but they are in really good shape because of their diet and very strong and both looked like they could easily run 5 miles even though one is 45 and one is 35.

So, the problem with carbohydrates is now we live past 35 and they turn into fat over 40 and harm our chances of not getting diabetes or blood sugar problems and being overweight is also a factor in colon cancer as well. So, if you eat a lot of carbs be sure to have a colonoscopy by age 50.

My doctor is older and has a colonoscopy every 3 years now which made me kind of nervous because I had one at 50 (had polyps snipped), then had another one at 52 (nothing wrong then) but then now I'm 67 and he says I should have had a colonoscopy every 3 years ever since  age 52 to be safe. So, now I'm going in soon for another one.

note: Also, if you are hypothyroid like I am she got me to use Armour Thyroid in 2006 because it has no side affects like most synthetic thyroid medicines do. Armour is not synthetic. She also mentioned a product called MGthyroid which she says she likes better. Another point she made is she thinks taking an armour thyroid or an MGthyroid is better sublingual (under the tongue).

The problem I had with trying to do this with armour thyroid a 4:30 am this morning is I mostly fall asleep after taking this medicine and didn't want to fall asleep with undissolved medicine under my tongue and choke on it because it takes a long time to dissolve (depending upon your dosage of Armour thyroid or MGthyroid. So, I finally (after experiencing it going into my bloodstream) under my tongue just swallowed the rest so I could go back to sleep.

I take it this early so I don't forget and eat something which messes up armour thyroid potency. You can't eat anything for 45 minutes to 1 hour after taking armour thyroid (especially milk products).

No comments: