Friday, September 30, 2016

1949 Stinson

  1. Intuitive fred888: 1949 Stinson airplane

    intuitivefred888.blogspot.com/2012/04/1949-stinson-airplane....
    Apr 4, 2012 ... ... in Seattle, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Maui and the big Island of Hawaii. My archive site is: dragonofcompassion.com. View my complete profile ... 
     
    My father's best friend flew a 1949 Stinson that looked exactly like the one if you click on the word button above. This is one of the first small planes that I flew in that my father's friend also let me fly in the air. He didn't let me fly it taking off or landing because I was considered too young to do that. However, I flew it a lot in the air, especially from Yucca Valley Airport to Encino Airport up the Cajon pass I believe it is called between San Gorgonio mountain and San Jacinto Mountain which is next to Palm Springs. 
     
    He taught me how to "Crab" into the wind. Basically, you fly the plane sideways to keep it (on that day) from being blown by airborne winds into San Gorgonio Mountain which is over 11,00 feet and we were only flying between 5000 and 7000 feet in altitude flying up this pass. We were flying almost directly over the route of Interstate 10. The wind was blowing at least 20 miles per hour or more towards San Gorgonio mountain so I had to use the rudder pedals to make the plane fly sideways by facing more towards San Jacinto Mountain. It was more like sailing a boat which I also could do by (1956 when I was 8 and 1960 when I was 12 years old). So, what happened was the leading edge moving forwards was the right wing mostly so we were not blown sideways into San Gorgonio mountain then. We could not move forward as fast because we had to point the nose to the left which was towards the ocean more. By looking down I had to make sure we weren't flying sideways into the mountain and to maintain a forward heading far away from San Gorgonio mountain then.

No comments: