Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Does a Bear Poop in the Woods?

Yes!

Here is some after a bear ate apples off my friends trees.
 You can see the bears teeth marks in this apple we found under one of the apple trees and below you can see what the bear likes to eat in his scat(poop). You have to watch your step on my friend's land now from multiple piles of this stuff. Most of it is composed of Manzinita berries but these two pictures are definitely apples (before and after). He says the bear comes through his land every day looking for food now. I asked what do you do?

He said, "Well. When I see him and tell him to go away he looks at me sort of like, 'You're 1/4 of my weight. Why are you threatening me, I'd win?' "

"So, if I make enough noise sort of like a squirrel does he doesn't like it and leaves my trees alone at that point. I mostly don't like him breaking the limbs off to get the higher apples. Because I need those limbs for more apples next year."

I'm not sure I would be happy about a bear walking through my land every day like that.

By the way the scat in this picture is over 1 foot long 5 to 6 inches wide and 4 to 5 inches tall. So, it looks sort of like elephant poop that you really do not want to step in by accident so I was glad I saw it before I stepped in it.
friend lives at about 3700 feet on the side of mt. Shasta


No comments: