- im·mi·nent (ĭm′ə-nənt) adj. About to occur; impending: in imminent danger. [Middle English iminent, from Old French imminent, from Latin imminēns, imminent ...
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to imminent: Imminent Domain
About to occur; impending: in imminent danger.
[Middle English iminent, from Old French imminent, from Latin imminēns, imminent-, present participle of imminēre, to overhang : in-, in; see in-2 + -minēre, to jut, threaten; see men-2 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
im′mi·nent·ly adv.im′mi·nent·ness n.American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. liable to happen soon; impending2. obsolete jutting out or overhanging[C16: from Latin imminēre to project over, from im- (in) + -minēre to project; related to mons mountain]ˈimminence, ˈimminentness nˈimminently advCollins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
im•mi•nent(ˈɪm ə nənt)
adj.1. likely to occur at any moment; impending: Her death is imminent.2. projecting or leaning forward; overhanging.[1520–30; < Latin imminēre to overhang]im′mi•nent•ly, adv.im′mi•nent•ness, n.Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
imminent, immanent - Imminent is "about to happen" and immanent is "inherent" or "pervading the material world."See also related terms for inherent.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- Opinion: I ditched Facebook in 2013, and it's been fine-CNN
- Autonomous car (redirect from Self-driving car): Wikipedia
- China's Xi affirms friendship with North Korean leader, gets denuclearization pledge
- Self driving Uber car kills Arizona Pedestrian
- Russia and Brazil Hit Hardest in Sovereign Risk Ratings...
- vehicular automation in Aircraft
- There is evidence offered by the Environmental Health Trust to suggest that women who keep a cellular phone in their bra may develop breast cancer
- Wessex EVENTUALLY ENGULFED MERCIA IT SEEMS