Tuesday, May 22, 2018

As a blogger you have to keep experimenting with Technology to stay up to date with your skills

What do I mean by this?

In 1966 I learned to program computers in COBOL and Fortran and I learned to use punch card equipment, and sorters and reproducers and Accounting Machines built by IBM. Then I learned to use

an IBM 1620 mainframe computer and then later and IBM 360 mainframe comptuer and then I used the IBM 360 in conjunction with a Univac Optical Scanner to do automatic accounting for the largest car dealerships in California in 1968.
IBM 1401 undergoing restoration at the Computer History Museum
Prior to System/360, IBM also sold computers smaller in scale that were not considered mainframes, though they were still bulky and expensive by modern standards. These included:

SoMain article: IBM System/360

All these systems were designed to use punch card equipment because there were not Chips in these computers yet. Later in the 1970s and 1980s chips created home computers from IBM and Apple and others and the IBM Clones made by private companies all over the world were allowed to be because of the MS Dos and microsoft keeping the patent for their software operating systems ongoing rather than selling these operating systems directly to IBM.

So, the microchip and microcomputer market exploded in the 1980s to where it is today.

What I'm saying here is that whatever you are using now it is going to be obsolete within 6 months to 2 years from now.

So, since I have mastered about 20 to 25 or more generations of technology I have learned the hard way to learn as little as possible (and still be effective) with each new generation of technology as it arises and as I use it.

In this way I can move onto the next generation and the next and the next with relative ease each time by not cramming my head with useless information I will have to forget 6 months or 2 years from now as I move one once again to newer, faster and better technology.

So, as a blogger you have to learn the minimum you need to know now and keep finding out what works and doesn't work especially in regard to quoting things on line around the world.

It is very very very important to give credit to whoever wrote what you are quoting or you are guilty of plagiarism by the way no matter who wrote it worldwide.

No comments: