Saturday, July 14, 2018

In southwest Oregon like in San Francisco most people don't have air conditioners

You could see people who can actually afford them buying air conditioners but most people (likely 80% to 90% of the people) in this area DO NOT have air conditioners because they didn't need them really before the last few years time. Global Warming has changed all that. I recently made sure my son and daughters who live in Portland all had Air conditioners too because without one these summers you might wind up in the hospital or dead with heat prostration. It is mostly people whose areas in the U.S. never needed air conditioning before who are in potential jeopardy.

If smoke from fires is added to 107 degrees of course many more people likely will find their way to the hospital with smoke inhalation and heat prostration.

High Heat and flooding are the two things that kill more people in general worldwide than almost anything else. At least with extreme cold you can go inside somewhere and build a fire. But, if you don't have an air conditioner or you think you are immortal you are soon in the hospital or dead  from high heat because your brain stops working and if you are not used to high heat you might think you can survive it and then it is too late to survive.

I find less people these days as being adaptive in the old ways. In the 1950s when I grew up  almost no one ever had an air conditioner in their car or house. They might have had a swamp cooler on the roof but that's all then. When it got hot people just stopped working and went inside and cooled down mostly. Cars had canvas bags going across the country in over 100 degrees in case the engine boiled over. But, if your car broke down you also could drink the cooled water in the canvas bag hung over your front grill of your car or truck. I had many headaches as a child sometimes for 3 days while traveling through Arizona or New Mexico in over 100 degree heat without and air conditioner. I was given a wash cloth to wet my face if I felt I was going to pass out and I stuck my head out of the car at 70 miles per hour to dry off my face so I wouldn't pass out in the heat. But, I still would have headaches for up to 3 days from the heat when we reached out destination of either Los Angeles, San Diego or Santa Fe, New Mexico or sometimes the Grand Canyon.


No comments: