Monday, October 15, 2018

Writing as Self Therapy

When I was in my early 20s I went to college to become a psychologist. At this point I'm sort of glad I didn't complete my education as a psychologist because I don't think I'm a good enough listener which is what you have to be to be a good psychologist in the first place. I'm too good at putting my 2 bits worth into the circle but mostly people need to talk about what's bothering them and work it through themselves. Mostly as a psychologist you need to do specific direction for people to move them in directions that might be helpful so they don't just go in circles without really dealing with their problems and just drive themselves crazy with useless information in the meantime.

This is what really good psychologist does. He or she redirects a person to actually solve problems rather than burning out spinning in circles and driving oneself crazy in ways not useful or helpful.

So, because I studied Computer Science and then later Philosophy and psychology and Anthropology
I learned basically how to heal myself along the way. This was a revelation to me because even though my father was valedictorian of his high School in Lake Forest Park near Seattle, Washington, it was the great depression and he and his brothers were NOT allowed to go to college like his two sisters were. So, I guess the idea was that the daughters were supposed to find husbands in college and the boys were supposed to learn the electrical trade so they would always have jobs during the Great Depression which worked for them because they always had a paycheck working for their father who was an Electrical Contractor in the Seattle Area in the 1930s then.

But, the real breakthrough for me personally came around 1971 at Palomar College in San Marcos. I spent two years here and it helped me more than any other college I attended after that. Starting with Philosphy and moving from there to psychology and Cultural Anthropology and a course called "The Psychology of personal Growth and Development" really healed me in amazing ways from the traumas thus far in my young life a lot.

So, as I continued to write mostly after that for my own therapy and healing I found I was growing in leaps and bounds beyond most people I knew because like my father I'm very intelligent but also incredibly intuitive like my mother. So, I often was miles ahead of most people around me in my early 20s. So, I knew by 20 I could not survive my 20s just looking ahead in time.

So, when I tried to project my soul from my body permanently I wasn't allowed to finish doing this and asked to stay in my body and finish the work I promised to do on earth by an Archangel and so I could succeed and survive my 20s I was given the right to soul travel all over this galaxy and beyond by the Archangel at the behest of God. This changed my life a lot but after I was 26 things got better because I was married with a son and had to support them both. So, this inspired me by age 28 (as a single father then) to start businesses to support my son and then my 2nd wife and family as well.

So, I have found since around age 8 as an only child that writing often was very helpful and healing in understanding what I thought and what other people thought and then reading my stuff later I could better understand what I had been going through when I wrote what I wrote in the past as well.

For me, writing has a very healing effect on me. It might be different for others. So, in 7th Grade I took a Typing class (this was in 1960 before home computers then) so then I found I could type 35 to 60 words a minute after I was 12 or 13 so this helped a lot with Term papers then.

Then when I was 15 I stayed up all night completely my first big term paper on the "History of the Automobile" which inspired me a lot because I got a really good grade on my term paper.

So, from age 8 or 9 (9 was when Mrs. Krell) who was pregnant by then who was my 4th grade teacher and discovered me as a writer in front of the class which was when I realized I had a talent for writing. I was really shy then so this made a big impression on me. I think she was the biggest influence in a positive way on my writing but also being happy with Grade school even though Junior High School was really hell for everyone then. But, by High School things got better and then by my senior year I went away to a private school in Santa Fe New Mexico which was really great for me because I had never lived where it snowed so much before. (Even though it snowed once in a while in SEattle too from 1948 to 1952 when I was born to age 4). But, it really makes a difference when you are 17 and love to ski and sled and slide down hills on truck inner tubes when you can actually LIVE in the snow for one winter. But, getting used to temperature down to 16 degrees or lower during the day was hard to get used to for me too. But, it still was a great adventure for a 17 year old being away for  two school terms from home for the very first time this long.

No comments: