Monday, April 24, 2023

Freedom is responsibility

 I think most people don't see it this way but this is what I find Freedom Actually is.

As a younger man I rejoiced in the freedom to buy a car when I was 16 years old in 1964. (We grew up much faster then). Even though percentage wise many more of us died trying to grow up both boys and girls.

For example, I was sort of expected to be a man in many ways by 4 years of age which is very common around the world. Life then in the 1950s was much more "Sink or Swim!"

By this I mean that literally people would often throw children in a pool to see if they could swim like some people still do with dogs or cats to see if they can swim.

I even at age 4 or 5 remember jumping in a pool because a friend of mine did and nearly drowned before my father jumped in and rescued me. I didn't really learn to swim until I was around 8 or 10 years old and almost drowned in the ocean on a rubber raft with my cousins in heavy waves before I could swim and had to be rescued (the 4 of us) by Lifeguards then at Zuma Beach near Los Angeles and Malibu.

There is a saying that many men and boys have "More balls than Brains" which was also true of me.

But, more than anything Freedom is a responsibility to oneself and to all life and all human beings around you.

If you cannot be responsible to and for yourself and others you will never be entirely free for many different reasons.

Only when you have developed the ethics of a truly free man or woman are you really free. And for most of us it takes a lot of time to do this properly which is why so many go to college to refine themselves ethically for a life of responsibility and Freedom.

By God's Grace

No comments: