Friday, April 28, 2023

Things that people died from for thousands of years they might not have to die from today

 My son graduated with Honors as a nurse with a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing from a California State university in 2010. Recently he said to me something like: "People don't have to die of things that would have killed them into the 1990s because medical technology has advanced so much now."

I began to look at my own life and I have survived past my father and my uncle so far who were both gone by 69 and 73 respectively. I've already made it to 75 so far.

But, making it to 75 is sort of psychologically rough in many ways in that "Who really believes that they are going to live to 75 in my generation even if they live to 100?"

So, there is a surrealistic quality for someone like myself who was 2 years old in 1950 and watched most people die by 40 to 60 years old then. I also watched beautiful people I knew die by 27 and 30 unexpectedly too.

This happened a lot in the church I grew up then. People wouldn't go to doctors because they either didn't believe in them or understand them and then they died without medical assistance at any age.

I was surprised how many people held onto erroneous spiritual and medical beliefs and died of Covid a lot during the Covid Times from 2019 to 2022 also. 

I really couldn't believe how many people died needlessly still believing as they died that Covid was all a hoax because someone had told them that along the way.

I watched people die and go crazy in the 1960s because of similar erroneous information about a whole lot of things in life then from about 1965 until 1980. But, by 1980 I was 32 years old and not as stupid anymore as I once was and somehow I survived to 1980 even htough I truly believed until I was 29 that "You could not trust anyone over 30".

As I approached 29 and 30 I realized how stupid it was to think this way because when I turned 30 what was I suppposed to do "Not trust myself?"

But, I also understand that the idealism of youth (now) doesn't deal well wiht compromise and you don't survive into your 30s well unless you understand and use compromise to survive. But, it's very hard for idealistic cynical youth to get to pragmatism which is what in the end keeps us all physically alive at least.

No comments: