Sunday, May 5, 2024

Safe in Santa Barbara

Some friends who live in Oregon came south for a funeral in Santa Barbara so we met them in Solvang at a restaurant. We hadn't seen most of them in around 7 years and so all of us had aged a lot to where after 7 years I'm not sure I would have recognized most of them if I saw them on the street because we are all from about 68 years old to 78 or 80 at this point. So, many or most of us are unrecognizable from what we looked like 10 or 20 years ago.

I could see they were having problems and tired from traveling at their age and saying goodbye to one of their relatives. However, we all had a nice meal at a Danish Restaurant in Solvang which is a Danish place not far from Buellton and just off 101 a little bit to the east. It's sort of a tourist trap like Carmel or some place like that. I left our dog in the shade in the car since the restaurant there didn't allow dogs but the temperatures weren't very high anyway even though it was sunny of around 61 or 62 degrees. When we finished eating  it was dark and I found I wanted to put my jacket on to stay warm because by then it had dropped 8 or 10 degrees.

Then we drove another hour down 101 to Santa Barbara and unloaded our car from traveling from the SF Bay area here.

Now it's around 11 pm as I write this. I took the dog out to do her business and all's right with the world. I looked up into the night sky and it was clear and I could see all the stars. It's colder but beautiful out here right now. 

It was amazingly green all the way south on 101 and the Salinas River is full of water and all the Oak trees everywhere were green. Also, grasses and mustard grass and other things some places are 4 to 6 feet high to tell you how much rain we have had this year. We just had another storm hitting from Canada all the way down to about Atascadero and Paso Robles on Saturday too which dumped a lot of rain which is pretty unusual for the weather here in California to get any rain after April until the fall hopefully in September or October.

No comments: