Saturday, September 28, 2024

MY experiences visiting South Korea

Like most countries it is paradoxical to be there. The thing I noticed first is that i didn't see any homeless people at all. Later I talked to a S. Korean Doctor I was seeing in the U.S. and he said the reason I didn't see ANY homeless people is that "They are hiding". It isn't a part of the culture to be obviously homeless so homeless people hide from the streets where people can see them. Not sure how this works?

The 2nd thing I noticed around Seoul is how bad the air can be blowing across the Yellow Sea from Beijing. To the point where if you don't wear a mask you might have to go to the hospital or get sick from the air. So, basically if you can afford it you have air purifiers running 24 hours a day in your home anywhere in South Korea where the wind blows across the Yellow sea into South Korea.

However, I really liked Jeju Island which is sort of S. Korea's Hawaii in that it is also a volcanic island though likely dormant a long time. I even went down into the caverns in one park and that was amazing. However, during or after Covid I likely wouldn't have gone into these Caverns because of all the people walking through there.

So, my favorite parts of S. Korea for me personally was to meet my new Grandson (who is now 10 years old). So, I haven't been in S. Korea likely since maybe 2015 and I also went by myself in 2014 when my grandson was born then. MY son lived mostly on Incheon Island where the international airport is which is relatively near Seoul, S. Korea too.

No comments: