Monday, December 17, 2018

I started seriously studying about computers in college in 1966

In the fall of 1966 I started at Glendale College with the intention of eventually transferring to a 4 year college and studied computer data processing and programming languages. I enjoyed learning the Fortran Language (which basically means "formula Translation" language) which is a little like taking Algebra and converting it to a programming language in some ways. At least this is what I thought it was when I learned it in 1966. The next language I learned was Cobol which was and in a business programming language. I met someone recently who lives in Sacramento who programs in Cobol Still in his programming profession. He says it is still more quick and streamlined than many languages used now because it takes less time to load than most other business languages that have been developed since then.

In total I have learned 4 programming languages now: first Fortran then Cobol in 1966 to 1968. Then in the late 1970s I bought a TRS-80 from Radio Shack for 800 dollars which was one of the very first home computers. It only had a 4k memory which was lost whenever you turned it off. So, you stored your programs on a cassette tape so you could reload them whenever you turned the computer back on. The most useful language for this device was the BASIC language which I learned and taught myself and then taught all my older children who were all born in the 1970s. By the time my two younger daughters were born it was 1989 and 1996 and we had other much more advanced computers then so I taught them other things because learning the BASIC language then wasn't very useful at that point. However, my older daughter and I are both proficient at HTML. Or should I say she is much better than I because she used this language for a business online. So, she could literally travel anywhere while doing her work online which she liked a lot. I know several people who have jobs like this so they can go live in Europe and other places by the way right now and do all their work online.

So, I taught myself HTML (Hyper text markup language) which is what this is coming to you on as all online stuff mostly is written in HTML now or some other variation of HTML (there are many names now.

ut 25,270,000,000 results (0.44 seconds) 

No comments: