Saturday, November 22, 2008

JFK:45 years ago today

My wife informed me a couple of hours ago why she thought this was such a strange day. she said it was the 45th anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy.

I remember the day. I was in our indoor gymn at Glendale High School on November 22nd 1963. At first one of the boys said he'd heard on his transistor radio that the President of Mexico had been assassinated. It sounded kind of strange so I went to the locker room took a shower and went to my next high school class, English.

As I walked into my English class all the girls including my female English teacher were crying. I had never experienced anything like this. One of the boys quickly took me aside and said, "President Kennedy's been shot". As we all listened to the radio rather than conduct English class, we learned that he was not likely to survive. Sometime that night on TV or early the next morning we learned he had died and the Vice President Johnson had been sworn in.

note:I recently learned that both Lincoln and Kennedy had a vice President with the last name of Johnson. very odd.

I think if we could have blamed the Soviets with this assassination that nukes would have been flying because of the times we lived in. Everyone was terrified and everyone, I mean everyone believed there was some kind of conspiracy of silence going on and everyone was sad and then very angry for a long long time. this anger only increased when Bobby Kennedy and the Martin Luther King were assassinated. Many if not most people believed we no longer had a real democracy. I'm not sure I've ever really been convinced that our democracy has been more than a sham ever since. However, for me, voting in every election is something that I do like praying in the hope that somehow democracy still works.

No comments: