Tuesday, June 16, 2015

ISIS appears to control more territory in Syria than Assad does?

Syrian civil war.png
Current military situation: Red: government, Green: rebels, Yellow: Kurds (Rojava), Grey: Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, White: al-Nusra Front
(for a more detailed map, see Cities and towns during the Syria

I was looking at this map that is from the previous article on the Syrian Civil War from wikipedia and realized that ISIS now controls more territory than Assad does which I found sort of odd. Another fact that did not elude me is that inside the green areas we find anti-Assad soldiers combined with Al Nusra which is an Al Qaeda offshoot which is also fighting against Assad.

Then we have ISIS who Assad has been bribing with oil and land to kill all anti-Assad groups which is in Assad's interests but also in ISIS interests so they don't have anyone to compete with when they finally overrun Assad which seems fairly inevitable at this point with Russian Advisors leaving and even IRan likely giving up on saving Assad as well. However, they may save the Shias and others in the pink areas eventually along with HEzbollah protecting them from murders as well. We will see. Also, the U.S., Europe and others are considering sending in forces to protect Assad's people as well. However, I'll believe all this when I see it.

So, If I was living in Assad's territory I would leave for Europe or someplace else safe as soon as possible with my family.

No comments: