Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians reminds me of rich movies done in the 1930s

In other words everything is so completely over the top in this movie it reminds me that we almost could be in 1938 in some ways culturally as cycles go only 80 years later. But, Crazy Rich Asians absolutely could not have been made and have been successful in the U.S. like this movie now.

So, it demonstrates (at least in the U.S. and maybe Europe) how international the average person is now. It shows how far we have come the last 80 years since 1938. One of my first memories that made much sense to me was riding in my father's car in Seattle in 1950, 12 years after 1938. IN 1950 I was 2. But, during the 1950s when people mostly had ONLY black and white TV sets the most common movies on TV then were black and white movies from the 1930s and 1940s when I grew up along with war movies made during World War II. Outside of Cartoons and news and Travelogs a lot that's mostly what was on TV during the 1950s. My family didn't buy a TV until 1954 by the way when I was 6 years old. But, my grandfather bought a big black and white TV to watch the Republican convention and elections of General Eisenhower who led the Normandy Invasion when he became president in 1952. So, the Republican Convention of 1952 was likely the first TV program I ever watched with my family ever that I can remember.

No comments: