Was in an XKE Jaguar my cousin owned. He showed me how fast it could go from 20 to 70 which was amazing to me at the time. The Clutch system in an XKE Jaguar was not built for off the line drag racing but rather more for cornering at super high speeds. But, from 20 to 70 this could be done in 2nd gear I believe in about 1 second or less.
But, I have also been in street racing as a passenger where rubber was burning in the 1960s where you would go from zero to 60 or 70 in a few seconds too. But, now you only see this kind of drag racing mostly at race tracks around the country. There would be big clouds of smoke off your racing slicks as you first took off. Most people had Hurst Shifting systems so their transmission wouldn't just drop out on the ground in a stock stick shift. Most people had Hurst Floor shifters back then.
But, ever since the Tesla Model S which my cousin also owns one was up until recently the fastest from zero to 60 on earth for sometime too. One reason for this is there are no gears so it's all with only one gear level just electric rpms that take it up to 60 in a second or two from zero. I think it is 2.5 seconds for a Tesla Model S for zero to 60 still.
They still make Hurst shifters today:
It's a good idea when you do this level of acceleration that you put your head against a head rest so you don't hurt the muscles in your neck or get whiplash during this fast of an acceleration.
When I was 18 or 20 you just leaned forward into it a lot when you knew you were going zero to 60 or 70 in a second or two with rubber burning from the rear tires spinning. But, when you are younger you can withstand greater physical stresses than when you are 55 or more years old without having to see a doctor.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- I had never heard before of the Rakoczy Mansion in Transylvania
- The Art of War - Wikipedia: Sun Tzu
- Natural Gas futures jump to 2 week high over more heat
- GPS Satellites were invented when magnetic North and South moved to fast for useful navigation
- Dow Drops 2,997.10 today: Record Drop!
- Elohar: Aged 9
- See Which States and Cities Have Told Residents to Stay at Home
- The Latest: Investors unsure how virus will impact profits