Saturday, September 17, 2022

Drove South to Santa Barbara yesterday

 I haven't left the SF Bay Area since we took our 6 week drive north  as far a Banff and Lake Louise in Canada. I realized that it likely damaged my health because of all the high altitudes on this last trip which was difficult to process at the very least. Partly as a result I spent 3 days in the hospital with a cardioversion likely as a direct result. But, psychologically going to Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier national Park and Banff and Lake Louise was a fitting end for the hell we all went through with Covid for two years time. So, psychologically at least I needed this trip even though I fell in the Tetons and had to get 20 stitches in my left shin. But, the good thing about one's shin is there are no tendons there at all so even though this wound was to the bone it didn't affect my walking ability long term and even the scar is not that noticeable now even. So, in the long run because it didn't get infected traveling it was all survivable.

So, traveling south to Santa Barbara and my doctor saying it's okay for me to travel to Santa Barbara and Mt. Shasta now as long as I don't overdo is quite a boon to my wife and I in that we could go to do something different for awhile. 

As we drove south on 101 towards Santa Barbara (note:) though you can drive down Interstate 5 to Santa Barbara it is kind of awkward and usually much hotter to take that route and then you have to go towards the ocean usually at Highway 46 towards Paso Robles to connect with Highway 101 anyway to make it be practical).

So, for us we usually just drive down 101 as it is a prettier drive and somewhat cooler usually and because I like the parts of the drive that take you near the ocean at Pismo Beach and then just below Buellton as well on 101.

I found the air a little hazy but I was still able to see 25 to 50 miles through the haze. It was also pretty dry most places even though there is still a little water in the Salinas River I noticed as we got off the 101 in King City to buy some food there. So, even having a little water is better than none at all this time of year. 

Also, this rainstorm that is supposed to hit this weekend from Alaska into the San Francisco Area might help some too. I think it's a part of the Cyclone hitting Alaska right now that ventured down this far.

We might be getting more of these Freezing cold Cyclones that they talk about in "The Day After Tomorrow(2004)  the movie for example. This could be what is happening. They are the opposite of a Tropical Cyclone.

No comments: