Friday, May 19, 2023

There is a movie called "Cast Away(2000)" that I watched many times at that time. Why?

Because I was still dealing with the trauma of divorce and the opposite adjustment to being remarried. I had been married to my 2nd wife in 1980 and then we divorced in 1994 and then in late 1995 I remarried and had another daughter. However, I was in 1994 46 years old and it was much harder to make these kinds of transitions in one's life then. I was raised to take responsibility for everything in life like many men raised in the 1950s. So, when my stepson let me know I was only 50% responsible for this divorce it removed enough pressure on me so I could actually survive this divorce (just barely) and get remarried.

So, watching Cast Away(2000) was one of my psychological coping mechanisms about 50 or 100 times because it allowed me to move forward after the trauma of a divorce after being married for 14 years from age 32 to 46. Coping mechanisms are really important.

The other reason I survived my divorce and was able to remarry and to recreate my life is that I studied to be a psychologist in my 20s before I married and had my first child, a son.

So, the techniques of how you survive traumas in your life was something I had already studied in my 20s which helped me recreate my life moving forwards.

I'm mentioning this movie simply because you might find it helpful in moving on in your own lives because it is about a man in a plane crash who gets stranded alone on a tropical island alone for 4 years time. Somehow for me, it was the transition I was still psychologically going through in 2000. Also, I had almost died in 1998 and 1999 from a heart virus for 9 months too. So, the combination of divorce, custody battle for my older daughter and then illness from all the stresses in my life caused me to almost die in 1998 and 1999. So, this movie really is about survival, mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Anyone who could actually survive something like this should be respected.

By God's Grace

No comments: