Sunday, April 4, 2010

7.2 Earthquake near Mexicali in Baja California State in Mexico

I got it this evening to call an old friend in her 80s and to wish her happy Easter. So I did and she was freaked out by the 7.2 quake that hit Mexicali and that over 20 million people felt from Southern California, U.S. on into Arizona in Phoenix.

After I got off the phone with my 80+ year old friend I called my son to make sure he was all right even though I knew likely it probably only hit his area with a force of about 5 to 6 at most. He said it was like everything turned to jello and it bounced him all over the bed he was learning about his new Ipad by Apple on. He said if it had been a single jolt it really would have done a lot of damage but because it sort of bounced everyone around it wasn't enough to break windows much where he was but was enough to swing chandeliers and to throw some books off shelves and throw a few pictures off the walls. Because he wasn't on a freeway or driving anywhere he was safe. I only heard of one incident involving a lady whose elevator stuck because of the Earthquake in Los Angeles. However, there were reports that in Baja California where the epicenter of the 7.2 one man died and all communications mostly were not happening and water and power have been disrupted many or most places in northern Baja California. A hospital in Mexicali was evacuated after it became unsafe to be occupied and many windows were broken and some buildings collapsed.

No comments: