Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Maha Kala Dog

I spent a lot of time especially between 1983 and 1987 with Tibetan Lamas in California, Oregon, India and Nepal. One of the new concepts that I took into my world was of a Maha Kala Protector Dog (or other animal or possibly Bird that become a type of protector for you). I met a Dog that belonged to a Tibetan Lama. It lived next door to a Restaurant that a Lama prayed for and I found this dog to be very special and unlike most other dogs I had ever met. So, sometime after that I thought that some day I would have a Maha Kala Protector dog too. Almost 20 years passed and both my wife and I decided that we wanted to get a dog for ourselves and our daughter. So, one day I was at a Video Store and outside the Humane Society had dogs up for adoption in large cages. I walked over to one dog in a cage that was beautiful and about 2 years old. It was the most intelligent dog I had ever seen. I bent down and looked into his eyes and he seemed to be the  soul come again of my father's dog who was a huge German Shepard just before my father passed away. I knew even though I had never been allowed to own a dog as a child that this was going to be my dog. So, I adopted the dog and brought him home. The only trouble was that exactly the same day my wife had found "Her" special dog too. So, we decided to keep both dogs. My dog was a German Shepard and Australian Shepard mix and her dog was a Corgi and Jack Russel Mix. So, the dog had more the body shape of a Corgi with the coloring of a Jack Russel. Her dog was very eccentric and I had a hard time getting used to her. Her name was Maggie May. My dogs name was "Furby" like the Chinese toy likely because when he was a puppie he likely was a beautiful ball of fur. His coat was soft and this indoors was a problem because he was always (year around) "blowing Coat" (shedding). However, petting him was always incredible for anyone that met him. And he has very soulful eyes that makes everyone fall immediately in love with him. He has to be the single most intelligent dog I have ever met.

About 6 years ago Maggie May got into a fight with a Raccoon in our yard that neither won and likely eventually both died. Maggie lasted about 1 month and got kidney failure and we put her asleep with an IV from the doctor as we petted her and watched the life slip from her eyes. Her ashes are still on our large book case in our living room still 6 years later which shows all our attachment to Maggie May. Furby was lost without Maggie May as she was the ruling Bitch as she was the elder dog and used to getting her own way. Furby was always very intelligent. When Maggie got into it with a Raccoon the look in Furby's eyes was "What are you doing, Maggie? That thing will kill you." But she was always very brave but no one ever accused her of being smart too. But my wife and daughter were very upset when my daughters babysitter left her outside after dark and Maggie May eventually died because of it.

When Furby, the 75 pound German Shepard, Australian Shepard mix first came into our lives he was trying to outsmart me as he was only about 17 months old. If he hadn't been fixed he might have been too much for anyone but a Dog Whisperer to handle. But luckily for me he was before we got him. He tried to tell me that he was the alpha dog and I was the beta Dog in the family pack. So, I worried at first that I might not be able to control him. But then something happened. He stole a whole large Pizza that we were about to eat off the stove which forced me to scare him within an inch of his life. After that, I was always the Alpha dog and he was the Beta Dog and we have been best friends ever since. However, he just loves my son who is now 37 years old. Whenever my son stays with us he sleeps just outside his bedroom door and if my son lets him in he will lie on the floor next to my son.

Sometimes, it is like my father is there in the dog still protecting my son as my father deeply loved my son like that too. I have always felt that God put Furby in my life to protect me and my family. Everyone that has met him falls in love with him and many many people have begged me to sell him to them or give him to them. But Furby is a member of my family. So, I'm very grateful that God gave me a Maha Kala Protector dog like the one I met in Nepal.

No comments: