Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Wrath of the Titans: The Movie

I went to see "The Wrath of the Titans" in 2D today. Both my son and I have had bad experiences from watching 3D movies. So we prefer to watch movies in 2d to avoid the headaches or vertigo that many people get from watching 3d movies for the next day or two after watching the movie.

A lot of people said it wasn't a good movie but I thought it was pretty awesome. However, it is sort of like the movie "Dune" years ago. If you don't seriously get Greek Mythology or know the story of Perseus and Zeus and Andromeda and the Kracken and of Chronos and Hades then you might be lost throughout the movie. I thought it was interesting that when a Greek God dies it's over: period. However, when  human dies his or her soul goes on and on. I thought this was a very ancient and interesting concept to deal with. And I didn't know before that Zeus and Hades and Poseidon were all brothers and the sons of Chronos who is one of the Titans. This was also a new concept to me. There was also the idea that volcanic eruptions had to do with Chronos. And I could see the people of the time trying to grasp and to anthropomorphize physical events of weather, wind and volcanic eruptions and storms and seas and of death and the temporary nature of human life here on earth. Having studied cultural anthropology I found the whole movie incredibly interesting from about 100 different angles.

However, if you didn't know much about Greek mythology you would be completely lost watching this movie and you might like the special effects but it mostly would be "WTF?" for most people watching it other than liking the special effects and the fighting and Perseus kissing Andromeda and stuff like that.

No comments: