Thursday, May 10, 2018

Earthquakes in California

The last article isn't surprising at all because we get earthquakes here every single day but usually we don't feel them. For example, because I wasn't near the 4.5 earthquakes I didn't feel them because I would have to be within 25 to 50 miles to be able to actually feel them at all.

You really often don't feel earthquakes until they get above about a 5.0 or bigger. Then water starts sloshing out of swimming pools and people in them have to be careful not to be knocked unconscious around the edges. So, if a quake happens when you are swimming in a pool either jump out quick or stay in the middle away from the edges and hope for the best. IF it isn't too big a quake you will survive it and not be knocked unconscious against the sides of the pool.

If it is 5.0 or larger also we usually either stand in a doorway (because it is usually reinforced more around a doorway than other places in the house or we go outside. But, beyond a certain point which is reached at about a 6.0 or a 7.0 wires start coming off of poles and cars not braked properly will be running up and down the street a few feet and trees and telephone poles will come down and windows will break out of houses and buildings and if you are are around high buildings watch for falling glass. So, around high rises being in the middle of the street could be fatal from glass falling from high buildings.

The largest quake I have ridden out is about a 6.7 which felt like the world was ending or a nuclear war had started. The quake woke me up and banged my head against the wall so I stayed on my bed as pictures fell off the walls and my bed bounced around the room. It was too severe to be even able to stand up in. It seemed to go on forever but likely was only a few minutes time. This killed many people and destroyed many homes and freeways and a hospital. However, the house I was in was not damaged in any visible way other than broken things off of shelves and walls and my head hurting from being slammed against the wall during the earthquake. But, as it was happening I thought everyone in southern California was going to die including me.


1971 San Fernando earthquake - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_San_Fernando_earthquake
The 1971 San Fernando earthquake occurred in the early morning of February 9 in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in southern California.
Magnitude‎: ‎6.5–6.7 Mw
Total damage‎: ‎$505–553 million
Date *‎: ‎February 9, 1971

No comments: