Tuesday, July 3, 2012

If you love Citrus

When I was really little probably when I had whooping cough around age 2 my parents said I demanded a whole lemon uncut and unpeeled. They gave it to me to see what I would do with it and I ate the whole thing without batting an eye. I think at that point my body knew exactly what it needed and was exceedingly grateful  to get it. I needed vitamin C to help me survive whooping cough because I lived in Cloudy and Rainy and snowy Seattle, Washington at the time where I was born. Though it is really incredibly beautiful whenever it is sunny there, there might be only 7 days of sun in a given year without any clouds in the sky. So, since citrus is in some ways like liquid sunshine Vitamin C this was exactly what my little body then needed to stay alive and not die from whooping cough then in 1950.

So, ever since then I have never been able to get enough lemon or oranges my whole life. So now I'm on the Fat, Sick and nearly dead diet one of the basis drinks for staying balanced and healthy while losing weight is the

MEAN GREEN juice

Which is:

4 stalks of Celery
1 cucumber
1 thumb size ginger
1/2 lemon including peel
2 apples
6 leaves of kale

However, this drink is sort of difficult for me because of the cucumbers (which always have upset my stomach), the ginger( a thumb size is much too much for my palette) and kale (which I would never choose to eat unless someone else cooked it for me). But now, all these things are raw which is even more amazing and intense for me to deal with.

So, for me (and it might work for you as well) I now add:
1 whole orange (peel and all)
1 whole lemon (peel and all) a whole instead of just a half

For me, by doing this the strength of the lemon and lemon peel and orange and orange peel overwhelms all the other tastes so all I can taste is ginger, lemon, orange and apple. this works for me. If it also works for you then try or experiment so you can stand to be on this diet too.

other articles on this subject:
Drink your Vegetables

6th Day of Organic raw Vegan Juice Diet 

note: Also, it might be important to note that apples contain apple seeds which contain arsenic. The seeds have arsenic in them as a plant adaptation to prevent them from being eaten by insects, birds or rodents. This allows birds for example, to eat apple seeds by swallowing them whole unharmed so when they defecate sometimes apple trees might grow as the birds fly along their routes. So, the arsenic prevents insects or birds from munching (destroying the seeds) so that they might grow one day into more apple trees.

However, for humans it is good to be aware that if you don't core your apples you will be eating or drinking some arsenic. But the amount is very small. For some people it is a slight stimulant like coffee and for others it might be more dangerous depending upon your metabolism.

No comments: