Friday, April 15, 2011

God is a Human Paradox

Believing in God is an alternative to Suicide. Because most people who actually believe in a God and an order to the universe do not commit suicide because in most systems of belief in God to kill oneself is not allowed or acceptable.

So, this creates the paradox. Does one believe in God and then give up the right to commit suicide or does one not believe in God and live in a world where suicide at any age is permissible for anyone?

What I'm actually saying here is if you don't believe in God it also follows that all laws and authority figures are meaningless to a person also. Since this is a given then if one does not believe in God or karma or ultimate justice for all thoughts and actions then there is no consequence to ANY action even suicide.

The world I live in is just like that. Without God, all laws on earth would be completely meaningless to me, because the worst that anyone could do to me was to kill me, and without God killing me likely would be a great favor or boon to me. Because in conceiving of a world without God death becomes preferable to life for someone like me. I can't say whether or not this is due to conditioning that I received from my parents, relatives, friends, teachers and society being born in 1948 which was completely different in every way than life now in 2011 or whether this is just inherent nature and genetics or what. However, I can say this is absolutely true. So, when I was growing up I had no real reason to respect any law or anything for that matter if I didn't believe in God and order in the universe.
Without God my life looked a lot like "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome". In other words life without God meant a form of chaos where literally anything goes. Because without God and order "Why obey any laws?" if life was that cheap?

So, I think discounting how important even the concept of God is to the western secular Christian world is to be really stupid. Whether God exists or not is actually irrelevant. Believing in God and having that ordered structure is the ONLY thing that prevents "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" every day right here where we all live all the time.

No comments: