Friday, March 24, 2017

first attempt at "Dictation" which is verbal to text on a Mac OS Sierra

Can you type here I don't see the typing being done okay it's starting to work alright I'm watching the news on NBC and right now Sean Spicer is talking and it looks like you understand my accent which is California English accent American style so now I've figured it out I don't have to type like I used to hurt my fingers which is really great because now you can type this stuff for me. But maybe you don't do periods I'm in I have to go through and do that myself later. Oh it looks like you you do. Okay guess I have to I have to learn to type it. If I wanted because you only do. Okay they're talking about shrimps Obamacare defeat and so that's what I'm watching on the news right now because it's pretty interesting and I'm experimenting with dictation with my new Mac OS Sierra I just figured out something that it'll type for me I can I'll stop now okay. Yeah

End quote from verbal "Dictation".

The following is typed like normal.

I started by typing a question into Google search. I wanted to know if SIRI installed on my Macbook pro could go verbal to text. The answer is yes but only in small amounts like doing texts on phones and stuff like this (likely designed for when you are driving a car hands free).

So, they have something that opens (once you install the 1.2 gigabytes of software to open it from online) you can then (if you are techie enough) going to be able to activate it "Verbal to Text" and then you can like I am now doing on the above paragraph I quoted and pasted here was all verbal as I checked to see if it actually worked. I think you have to talk a sentence and wait a little because it takes awhile before it prints out so there is like a 15 to 30 second delay after you speak before it converts it to type for you. So, you have to parse your sentences a little. Also, if you want a period you have to say period. But, if you want to write the word "period" then you might have to write it yourself. But, since I'm experiencing either some tendonitis which I have off and on since my early 30s from doing construction work a lot in my 20s, this winter has been very cold and moist which increases the likelihood of tendonitis pain for me as I get older. So, this is a godsend for me to dictate verbally where I don't have to type so much to maintain my blog which I love to do.

Once you have this set up right you open it by hitting twice the "fn" key in the lower left of your keyboard. At a certain point a little microphone icon shows up and then at at certain point it notifies you when it is working. So, I dictated into a blank page in "Pages". I'm used to "Word" but this was also the first time I have ever used "Pages" I chose a "Blank" page to verbally do "dictation" on.

No comments: