Friday, March 24, 2017

My adult life began when I discovered Psychology Today in a College library in 1971

My parents had never been to a psychologist or shrink or therapist ever. They didn't believe in this kind of stuff and were old school. LIke my mother would have said, "You do what you can and the rest Can!" This saying got her and her friends through the Great Depression and World War II. IN otherwords what you can't deal with you just stuff!

But, this cut 20 to 30 years off of many people lives who  did this. However, for my mother she lived until age 90 along with her mother and two sisters to 90 also which I thought was kind of interesting they all went at the same age even though they were different ages all of them.

However, in 1971 I had already been through a lot in my life by then. I had had whooping cough, childhood epilepsy from 1958 to 1963 and had been excommunicated from my childhood church at age 21 for being too 1960s and progressive for them to deal with at the time.

But, one day while at Palomar College in San Marcos, in San Diego California I went in there to study between classes and saw a Psychology today magazine sitting there with an interesting article on the cover. As I picked it up and began to read 90% of the troubles of my life began to drop away.

Because I realized 90% of the things bothering me had absolutely nothing to do with me personally. they were problems from my ancestors, problems with each other and the world, problems with politics etc. but as I thought about it through the lens of psychology, none of this was really mine. I didn't have to own any of it. So, I let it all go. all of it.

I could easily carry the 10% left of it all which was all about me. But all the rest I let go of and never looked back. If I had had to carry the other 90% I would have killed myself then in 1971. But, having let it all go as not a part of me I'm still alive today.

Something to think about!

No comments: