Friday, September 20, 2024

Around the Campfire

 I went to a friend's birthday party in Mt. Shasta last night. I went there and there were at least 50 people there and cars parked all over the 2 1/2 acres of land. However, I'm 76 now and walking around in the dark in a forested area is something I have to think twice about. So, often I turned on my Iphone light so I could see better and not trip on rocks or something else. I got over to the party area next to a bonfire and I could see the food table but not the food which meant again I had to turn on my phone light to see the food there. Then there were no plates left because I had come late because my wife wasn't feeling well enough to attend and so all the hard plates were already used up before I got there. however, because it is Mt. Shasta at night I wore a winter jacket so I would be warm enough. Then I got a plate and found a way of using my light underneath my plate holding my smartphone to see the food enough to get some food. However, then I realized I wasn't going to be able to see the food enough to eat unless I was at a table. So, there was a table in another area where people were not and so I went there to eat using my phone light. Then I turned my phone light off and realized that I could see Orion's belt in the sky because the night sky was really beautiful. So, I was happy the way I used to be in my 20s and 30s when we are all in peak shape in our lives usually. It was a truly remarkable experience. 

Later, I went over to the campfire once I had finished eating because I had brought 2 gallons of French Vanilla Ice Cream for the party to go along with the Birthday Cake. I was surprised to see that one gallon of the French Vanilla was already gone but also pleased to see people being happy and eating ice cream and cake. I began to talk to people and they listened to a lot of my stories of my life and this was wonderful sitting around a bonfire when there was a chill in the air but also it was nice to see so many people I knew and to meet new people I haven't met before.

The lady whose birthday it was said, "This is my best birthday party Ever!"

Which kind of says it all with people playing music and singing like the old days around a bonfire singing with old friends.

By God's Grace

No comments: