Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Angels Be With You 2

When I was a baby and young child my mother and grandmother would always say to me as I dropped off to sleep, "Angels Be With You!"

I got used to this but noticed that angels always WERE they when they were invoked like this. Since I wanted my own children to also have this truly amazing experience I have always said since my first son was born in 1974, "Angels Be With YOU" every night I Blessed my children to sleep. I found it invokes angels to watch over ones children in their dreams. It also tends to greatly reduce nightmares and other bad dreams and to take children into higher realms where they can learn useful things and not just be scared to death at night.

When my mother grew up in the 1920(she was born 1919) the prayer she was taught was given to her because so many children died before 5 or 10 years of age then, completely different than now.

Now I lay me down to Sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to Keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

Parents might not even think of teaching their children this in most of the world because they wouldn't want to scare them. But death was very real and very common back then in the 1920s so being prepared to die even if you were 1 or 2 years old was thought to be very important. So even when I grew up I was expected to have an adult attitude even at 4 to 6 years old from 1952 to 1954. Much more was expected of children then than now for a variety of reasons.

However, my mother didn't teach me this prayer because polio shots had been invented and shots for many other things had been invented by 1955 when I was 7. So many less children were dying than when she grew up in the United States so she taught me different prayers.

But to me, the single most important component of not having nightmares was someone saying to me, "Angels Be with you!" I always felt their presence even after I got too old to see them as clearly as I did when young. I still see angels as flashes of different colored lights and when there is danger I still see the blue light lifesize form of Arkangel Michael. And then soon the danger is averted.

No comments: