Sunday, March 22, 2009

If You Write a Book or Short Story

I was counseling a 13 year old friend of my 13 year old daughter's about writing and telling her how important it is to make an outline of whatever she wants to write. I said that whether you are just writing for fun or for money or both an outline is very important to make before you start writing.

The problem of writing without and outline I can attest to because I tend to be an extremely spontaneous person. Now, being spontaneous is great when alone or with a group of people when you or all of you want to have fun. However, when you want to get something serious done sometimes that spontaneity interferes with a useful outcome. The same is true when writing a book and sometimes it is a problem even if you are writing a short story under 50 to 100 paragraphs. It all depends on your capabilities and your state of mind when you are doing it.

By creating an outline of what you want to say and then just having fun section by section (Last, first, middle, whatever) one can embellish ones creation into something that speaks to your soul. If it speaks to your soul and makes you cry, laugh, think deep thoughts or whatever then it might do the same for others

When I write I am reaching out to "make friends" through time and space. For example, maybe 1000 years from now someone will read something you have written and not kill themselves because the met a kindred spirit in your writings, and go on to be a great father or mother or great leader or inventor or artist or musician and change the world for the better. You never know when something you write or say will change the world for the better.

Also, some of you who are very young and innocent still might think your voice is too naive for anyone to be interested in. This is not true. Whatever you are honest and truthful about there are people who will want to read what you write. Even if you encase your truth in cartoon like characters, if what you write is open, honest and truthful to the core people will want to read what you write.

Each of us is an amazing being. Allowing that amazing being to come out into the light of day can change the world into a better place. However, if you are innocent and young or just innocent it is important to know how to protect yourself as you publish whether it is online or in print. If you aren't ready to share with the world what you write then don't until you feel safe enough to.

For me, this came when I almost died in 1998 and realized that all my life experiences could be lost if I died and that the fear I had of being looked down upon for being a psychic and world traveler meant nothing next to losing all the lessons I had learned with my death. I wanted to share as much of the amazement I have experienced in my life as possible before I died.

However, by sharing these amazing experiences it has only extended and extended my stay here on earth. My health has returned and most days I feel even at 60 like I did at age 30. I haven't felt this good since I was about 35. Part of it is being retired but part of it I know I sharing with humanity in a timeless way through my writings.

For example, when I read "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert she made me feel like a friend, confident and lover. If you write like this with such deep honesty you really change the world. Yes. It takes a lot of courage to write like that but such people change the world in profound ways. It is easy to share your funny and beautiful sides but it is very difficult to share the painful places that you can't always make sense of. But by sharing all of you, you liberate yourself and you liberate all who read what you write!

So, if you are ready for it, liberate yourself!

No comments: