Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Skills

I was thinking about the skills that everyone has. Each of us is unique in our skills and some of each of our skills might defy explanation if trying to explain them to a stranger who has no known us in real life.

Though each of us are born with what nature gave us, what happens to us after that could be literally anything. This anything creates or destroys(usually a little of both) our capacity to learn skills.

When I look back in my life some of my most extreme skills came from some of the worst things that have happened to me. For example, I learned how to "let go" as in prepare to die from whooping cough. I suppose this could best be described as the ability to "let Go and Let God" or another way to put it is, "I"m ready to die at any time, God!"

This state of consciousness might be strange to some of you, but the ability to know when to let go, give up, be free from a situation or illness is one of the most powerful skills that I have. I would have to say to you that I am alive today because it prevents panic which often kills through heart attack or stroke, especially if one is over 35 or 40 years of age. Many people die unexpectedly because they think like they are 20 or 30 and biologically they might not be.

I would say that even for healthy people one must start being more aware of what is going on in their bodies and minds and thinking about their health more if they want to from about age 35 on.

Skills useful to acquire in regard to making a living are: Good ideas, meeting the right people and marrying the right person. Because I started working after school and weekends by age 10 I learned that employers mostly were to be despised because they made all the money and you worked your fingers to the bone. So by the time I was 21 I had learned that I wanted to somehow be my own boss. Though I didn't achieve this completely until I was about 29, from then on I mostly 90% at least worked for myself, kept the profit for me and my family and moved forward with my life. I just met too many people who had been hard workers for companies, were given a gold watch and then died within 2 years. This was the norm when I grew up and so I didn't want this outcome for me. Also, I have noticed the people who have worked at least part time in businesses they owned into their 80s or 90s and tended not to get senile dementia and alzheimer's as much and usually died in late 80s or 90s.

Though I am 60 and have been basically retired for about 10 years I am still helping manage a business and working on finances 5 days a week. This not only keeps me mentally sharp it financially helps my family in multiple ways. This enables me and my wife to continue to be mentors for our children and Godchildren and others that seem appropriate along the way in our lives.

No comments: